Sunday 25 September 2011

My 2nd Mater cake and I've learned that there is much to learn!!

It was a 4-cake week and from that I've learned that I JUST CAN'T DO THAT! I'm pretty sure my husband is ready to move out and my kids are going to have rotten teeth. Enough!

That being said and as awful as the pressure was this week, I think I put out some pretty decent work! My Mater cake was quite an experience...and here I was thinking "oh heck, that's easy. I've already done a Mater. I can do it in x minutes and time to spare!". NOT EXACTLY!! I've learned that the really impressive cakes out there in the world of google must be done by teams of people. Or at the very least, perhaps a mostly self-taught cake/mom like myself but with mad carpentry skills (or a husband with said skills!). I was able to improve upon my construction a wee bit from the last Mater I did...but still ended up with a droopy rearend and needed to prop up the wimpy little cake board that Mater sat on with chocolate bars covered in fondant. I was happy with my idea to use a big mass of RKT as the main support under the cake board though. Next time I know I will put Mater on a sturdier board and select something even stronger and more stable to support this board. Now if I had a handy husband, he could make me something like this structure I speak of...but alas, that's a whole other issue and not for a blog about caking!

Another little tidbit I walk away from this week with...transporting cakes is tricky and the inevitable will happen! Like Alice in Wonderland WILL lose her legs on her way to East end Hamilton! Next time - leave all fragile parts OFF of the cake while travelling and construct on-site! And always bring emergency tools!!

This week sounds a bit slower and I like that. I have a Hello Kitty cake for Saturday and potentially a 30th birthday cake for Saturday night though all details are TBD. So if you're reading this blog little sister, I'd appreicate knowing sooner than later!!

Thanks for your support! Anyone want to share any other caking secrets about fragile deliveries and creating support structures without a handy husband?
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment