Friday 5 August 2011

Cake firsts and the importance of getting the message straight!

Well I've had a couple caking "firsts" this week - one was my cake-designing BLAHS when trying to come up with the custom 50th for a Bruce Springsteen/Jackson Browne fan!! I was not only stumped on the design, but because it was my first cake in 3 long weeks, I wasn't even into it. At all!!  But in the end, with a little kick in the butt from my friends, I was able to produce a stack of albums, the top being (of course) the very popular "Born in the USA" cover! It was tedious but fun! Then I was able to hit "the zone" when it came time to hand-painting all of the album names on all 4 sides of the record stack!! Made a gumpaste Harley logo and Bruce's very renoun yellow electric guitar and the cake was finished!! Apparently it was a huge hit at the party! Everyone took pictures and the bday boy just stood back and stared at it for 2 minutes straight. Awww...that's exactly why I LOVE doing what I do!! Thank you so very much Mo!!

My other cake "first" was a Hello Kitty cake for a 6 yr old girl's birthday! The client (my girlfriend Fiona - thank you!!) suggested HK or perhaps Tinkerbelle but I jumped at doing the Hello Kitty as I have seen many and had never made one. It was super fun and thankfully I was very much into the caking spirit of things! I sat and made colourful fondant flowers for ever!! Pictures coming!! Thank you so much to http://www.cakecental.com/ for the great cake ideas!! And thank you again Fiona!! If anyone wants to train for an Ironman triathlon, she's a pro triathlete AND a trainer in TO. Message me for her contact info!

Now, onto the importance of 'getting the message straight'...my girlfriend (and fellow YJ distributor/brand parnter) Kelly gave me the head's up that her future MIL was going to contact me for her family baby shower for newly arrived Charlie!! So I only spoke to her MIL re cake flavours and design. She said "Kelly said to do something summery". I was a bit confused since it was a baby shower cake afterall but thought, oh well, summery & baby! I can do this! Last night, while putting the final touches on my version of summery/baby shower, I called Kelly to see if she wanted "Charles or Charlie" on the cake and mentioned the "summery" thing. She says 'oh yeah, I told her something summery flavoured"...uh oh! So NOT the theme?  But rather the flavour? Oops!! Anyways, final cake is a brandnew baby Charlie (complete with his signature cloth diaper) lying on a blanket (custom colour & design as his nursery bedding) on the beach with sunscreen, bottle of milk, "ghettoblaster", cooler, beach ball, sand pail & shovel, and rubber ducky floaty ring! There is sand and beautiful blue ocean with jellyfish, starfish, catfish, sea cucumbers, and underwater plants. I hope she likes it! It was quite fun!

And now I'm sitting on a 30-hour train ride from TO Ontario to Truro, Nova Scotia with my 3 kids!! I intended on bringing a custom cake with me for my Aunt's 60th birthday and had also hoped I could bring enough supplies to make another custom cake for a big family gathering to honour my uncles' and cousin's birthdays (60th, 50th and 40th all in the same year)....but alas, with only myself to "lug" stuff, we had far too many bags to add more to. So no cake or cake decorating tools!! Just plain & simple VACATION time for me!!

Thanks for checking in and I'll be back near the end of the summer with a custom 30th cake for a Katy Perry/golf/Harley/California-lover named Matt!!

Cheers,
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment